Talis Forums Archive

A place to discuss all your library issues
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: TalisMessage Outbound
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:33 pm 

Here in Bristol we have had TalisMessage up and running for a couple of years now. We have just purchased TalisMessage Outbound. Has anyone set up all or part of Outbound and if so were there any problems?

Report this post
 Post subject: TalisMessage outbound
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:22 pm 

We use outbound here at Aberdeenshire. Over the past few years we've had numerous problems. The biggest problem has probably been with the resetting script. It has quite often not run (either a problem with the LMS or the message server) and this results in Talis thinking they've been notified when in actual fact they haven't. We've recently had a new server for TalisMessage installed and it all seems to be working quite well. Unfortunately the server isn't on our premises and we can't have remote access because our ICT use remotely possible and TalisMessage use PC Anywhere. The amount of checking on outbound is considerable, although we were supposed to get e-mail notification of what was phoned out - but that's never happened. When it's working it's great - when it's not (and for us this has been a lot - we even considered pulling the plug!) it's an absolute nightmare. Sorry to be so negative, but we have had a lot of problems - one good thing though, the staff at TalkingTech are absolutely brilliant at sorting out problems! Good luck. Sharon

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:31 am 

I don't wish to sound defensive about Talis Message Outbound, as I know that Aberdeenshire have had lots of problems, but I'd say that these aren't typical of the Talis Message Outbound users. Bolton commented at the recent Talis Day that implimenting Outbound had saved them £12,000 in postage and stationery in the first year alone and they haven't had any of the problems that Aberdeenshire have had.

Paul (or anyone else reading this forum), if you'd like to contact some of the other Outbound users for an offline view please let me know and I'll contact some of the other users to see if they will give you a view.

Regards

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:34 pm 

Thanks for your experiences Sharon. Hopefully lessons have been learnt from that and our installation will be a lot smoother. Karen - I'll contact you soon for some contacts.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:44 pm 

Hi

Just to let anyone who's interested know that I have now successfully set up Talis Outbound, also I am using Brian's solution to notification preferences. The Public can now choose between receiving there notifications by post, email, text and voice. This seems to be working as it should as well.

If anyone would like any advise on these, please feel free to contact me.
Paul Athay
Systems Officer
Bristol Libraries
Tel: 0117 9037207

p.s Thanks for your help Brian

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:31 am 

I'm just in the process of setting up outbound and am very curious to hear what "Brian's solution" is.

Also I'm a bit confused by something in the release notes. I've created the talmes user and the sub directories for send and return yet when I try to run the reset script I'm getting errors about reading files and it occurs to me that the suggested parameters for the command line don't actually point to the talmes subdirectories.

Am I missing something or are the release notes not quite right. One of the files it can't read is obviously the messages in file which isn't there because I haven't run that bit yet. I just wanted get the cron lines set up and scheduled as best I can before triggering anything live.

Any suggestions or things I should watch out for ?

Report this post
 Post subject: Notification
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:36 pm 

"Brian's solution" is an article on the TDN about possible approaches to setting up borrower notification processes. It is not a definitive answer for everyone in every situation but does give some ideas about what could be done.

In fact if anyone has expanded/improved the ideas in the real world or come up with another solution let me know the details and the article can be expanded

The article is available at http://www.talis.com/tdn/system/files?file=art_lm144pl01.pdf

In terms of the output the -s switch must be set to the path $BLCMP_HOME/data/telemessage/send. The default is $TALIS_HOME/data/mis. This is detailed in the instructions for each of the scripts in the release notice.

Thanks

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:15 am 

Thanks Brian,

I'll check out the TDN article. I did set the -s directories as it stated but it still isn't quite there and I've been through the release notes with a fine tooth comb but I'll check out the article and have one last go.

If I'm still stuck I'll just raise a support call for someone to check out my set up.

Cheers
John

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:13 pm 

I've now got my Talis Message outbound importing files and making some test calls. My next step is to actually get the scheduled runs working and fitting in to existing printed reports. The bit I'm now struggling with looks like it should be simple and maybe just a gap in my knowledge.

I want to start everything at midnight and run the message overdues first, then the reset fails from the previous run before starting the printed overdues. I can't be sure of the exact time things will finish so I am just going to put one line in cron to kick it off and then have a text file with the individual commands in the order they need to run, so one will start when the previous one ends.

My problem is that most of the reports run as the report user but it says to run the reset script as Talis user. In cron I just pick the user with /bin/su - talis or whatever but I tried this in my text file and it didn't seem to work. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing to change the user mid script or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be ?

Cheers
John

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:44 pm 

This might work although I'm sure someone will come up with a better solution. Try the following as the root user in the cron

Code:
su - report<<-END
script command line
script command line
END

su - talis <<-END
script command line
END

If you run it as root then you don't have password issues. Replace the command lines as required.

I would obviously test this on the MIS server first to ensure you are happy with what it is doing and see if there are any problems doing it this way. It could be a bit of Friday afternoon code.

However the reset script runs against a file returned from the Talis Message Server. So the scheduling of the reset script will depend on when the original file is sent, processed and the failures returned not just when the output is produced.

Thanks

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:56 pm 

I was starting to think about this but I didn't know the bit about using <<End in there and I wasn't 100 percent happy that it would get exactly the correct permissions. I'm more confident now it's come from you :).

I'll do some testing on MIS as you suggest.

Thanks
John

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:46 pm 

I'm getting an odd error when I inlude the <<-END bit

Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch October 2001
stty: : Inappropriate ioctl for device
stty: : Inappropriate ioctl for device

Though the script does continue, I'm a bit worried about doing it on my live overdues file.

I do see why it's needed though becuase without it, it starts a new shell and sits there waiting for user input until you exit.

Any ideas
John

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:29 am 
Site Admin

John, you probably have a stty command in a profile somewhere.

The error is not effecting the scripts you are running so i suggest you redirect standard error to not see this message.

eg

su - talis <<-END 2>/dev/null
script command line
END

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 am 

That did the trick.

Thanks
John

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]