Talis Forums Archive

A place to discuss all your library issues
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:16 pm 

Dear all,

We currently have 5 self issue and return units. They are 3M 6210 and 7210 models, the oldest of which have been in use for three years.

In recent months we have been experiencing a lot of hardware faults. Printer components failing is a common problem, but since the summer we have also had two dead hard disks and twice the PC itself has had to be replaced because of motherboard faults.

Would any of you using this same model be able to give me an idea of whether this rate of hardware failure is consistent with your experiences? It seems as if we go from one breakdown to the next, and I am beginning to wonder if we should think about upgrading to the 3M V series. But first I wanted to get a feel for how typical our experiences were.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:51 pm 

Thanks to all of you who responded to me on this question.

In summary, the University of Sussex is not alone in the sort of problems it has experienced. However, we are in a slight minority when it comes to the frequency of hardware faults.

In this unscientific poll of eight sites:

37.5% of sites had experienced exactly the same troubles as us over a comparable period

25% of sites had experienced the same hardware faults, but so infrequently as to be no cause for concern

37.5% of sites had experienced virtually no trouble at all

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]