Talis Forums Archive

A place to discuss all your library issues
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Self Returns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 pm 

Hello
How do other libraries stop borrowers returning items that may be subject to an invoiced letter? The parameter file doesn't seem to cater for this, unless i have missed something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:05 pm 

When counter staff send an invoice letter they put a message on the item that has a very high ignore/clear level that our counter terminals and self return machines can't override.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:48 pm 

The message level does stop our borrowers completing a self renewal or self issue but it doesn't seem to stop a self return, can't find anything in the release notices to say otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:10 pm 

Ooops - should have checked before I posted. You're right - self return does not have a message level parameter. Hopefully it will ask the user to put the item in the 'exceptions' slot, but knowing our users they will put it in whichever slot they feel like :(

On the other hand, we don't get too many complaints: I guess it is in the user's interests to clear the invoice by returning the item to a member of staff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:12 am 

My solution to this was to place Item Messages with a high ignore level against books that are very overdue. The Self Issue user, who is the user for TAL_LOAN_OPERATOR, would have a low ignore level therefore stopping the return taking place. Two questions have arisen from this
1) would this work?
2) can anyone find any trace of Self Issue except in the config files? I can't find any Self Issue user in either Alto or on the Unix box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:05 pm 

gi06 wrote:
My solution to this was to place Item Messages with a high ignore level against books that are very overdue. The Self Issue user, who is the user for TAL_LOAN_OPERATOR, would have a low ignore level therefore stopping the return taking place. Two questions have arisen from this
1) would this work?

I suspect not, but I don't really know. However:

gi06 wrote:
2) can anyone find any trace of Self Issue except in the config files? I can't find any Self Issue user in either Alto or on the Unix box.

I think the 'Self Issue' is a fake borrower entered against the Loan record by the SIP2 software. Permissions and levels seem to be controlled by the parameters in the config files, not by any parameters elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:32 pm 

I'm just looking into this prior to our installation of self-issue. It seems to me that another way of dealing with it would be that if you use Item Query for your invoiced books (we make something Item Query status 'invoiced' when we raise one) then you can use the TAL_QUERY_DISCHARGE parameter and set it to NO to prevent people returning invoiced items via the self check machines.

While I'm ploughing through the Talis Bridge Pro release notice,
Quote:
can anyone find any trace of Self Issue except in the config files? I can't find any Self Issue user in either Alto or on the Unix box.
it mentions that this is the default value for TAL_LOAN_OPERATOR that gets inserted into database tables, and that you can change that to something else (e.g. the machine name if you wanted to distinguish between transactions on different machines).

University of Brighton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 am 

Just to clarify on the TAL_LOAN_OPERATOR:
This value is simply a text string that is nominally recorded as the operator against a loan transaction. There are no enablements associated with this login. The operator allows you to identify each self issue machine by a unique operator name. This can then be reported on in Talis Decisions, as long as the operator has been named in Alto Configuration (therefore there is a row in the OPERATOR table).

Tim Hodson
Consultant
Talis Information
www.talis.com
www.timhodson.com
informationtakesover.co.uk (blog)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 pm 

Are you only able to change the name of the operator in Talis Bridge Pro?
Our server is starting to slow down, and i'd like to run self service stats on Business Object instead.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]