Talis Forums Archive

A place to discuss all your library issues
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Offline Mode
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:15 am 

For those who are on Talis Bridge Pro and using 3M.

Is there anyone out there who is configuring/using the store and forward facility - willing to share their findings no matter how good or bad? NL would be grateful for any insight.

Please contact:

Rachel Underwood
Systems Support Officer
Northamptonshire Libraries and Information Service
E-mail: runderwood@northamptonshire.gov.uk
Tel: 01604 237699

Thanks.

Rach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:36 am 

On a similar theme, I'm interested in the offline facility. I've just had a leave of absence and in that period one of our site libraries has started using Talis Bridge Pro with 3M machines. My colleagues haven't gone for offline capability because, as far as we can see, the offline facility would issue anything to anyone. That's fine in one sense - we'd know who had our stock, but we dont like the idea that borrowers may be able to borrow materials they normally wouldn't and we would have to chase them up. Is this really the case or are we missing something? Can the offline facility tell what kind of borrower type you have, or what kind of item type you are issuing, or is it just recording what you are doing, as Assure does?

I'd be interested to hear from people who are using it about how you find it, any drawbacks for example, and equally from people who have chosen not to use it.

Thanks

Claire

University of Brighton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:39 am 

Hi Claire,

We're using Bridge Pro and 3M at UCLAN.

I've tested offline mode, and as you say it will issue literally anything to anyone. (That is, issue in the sense that it will let the borrower remove the item from the library because the book security is disabled. Once the offline transaction is uploaded it can still be rejected by the LMS due to whatever business rules you have setup).

I can't see anyway around the 'chasing students' scenario. It's just part of the nature of offline. If you're self service machine has lost connection to the LMS there is no way to determine book loan categories, or borrower rights. (Well, almost no way. If you were using RFID, you could program information such as loan category into the tag.)

On the very rare occasions that you might need to use offline, a couple of hours admin afterwards, is no great loss of staff time really. It depends if you think it's better to keep the books in circulation(and keep borrowers happy), or keep staff happy by not expecting them to chase students.
Saying that, if you were having some serious connectivity issues to your LMS and were constantly in need of offline mode I can see how it would become cumbersome. If you have a contingency for you LMS failing, and a good network team you should have nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps

Paul

Claire Eskriett wrote:
On a similar theme, I'm interested in the offline facility. I've just had a leave of absence and in that period one of our site libraries has started using Talis Bridge Pro with 3M machines. My colleagues haven't gone for offline capability because, as far as we can see, the offline facility would issue anything to anyone. That's fine in one sense - we'd know who had our stock, but we dont like the idea that borrowers may be able to borrow materials they normally wouldn't and we would have to chase them up. Is this really the case or are we missing something? Can the offline facility tell what kind of borrower type you have, or what kind of item type you are issuing, or is it just recording what you are doing, as Assure does?

I'd be interested to hear from people who are using it about how you find it, any drawbacks for example, and equally from people who have chosen not to use it.

Thanks

Claire

Post subject: Re: Offline Mode
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:52 am 

Dear Rachel,

I have contacted Pro/3M customers and asked them if they would be willing to share their findings on Offline with you - one of them promised to reply asap.

I have also spoken to 3M about this and we came up with an alternative solution: we are prepared to install Bridge Pro on your Talis server - it will run in parallel with your existing Bridge Lite installation. You can then, at your convinience, switch one or more 3M machines from Lite to Pro and test Offline yourselves. Both Talis and 3M will assist you during your tests and answer any questions you may have. We will also consider any enhancements you deem necessary. We will decomission Pro once your Offline tests are over. Let me know if you would like to go ahead with this and we will arrange it asap.

Regards,

Zak

runderwood wrote:
For those who are on Talis Bridge Pro and using 3M.

Is there anyone out there who is configuring/using the store and forward facility - willing to share their findings no matter how good or bad? NL would be grateful for any insight.

Please contact:

Rachel Underwood
Systems Support Officer
Northamptonshire Libraries and Information Service
E-mail: runderwood@northamptonshire.gov.uk
Tel: 01604 237699

Thanks.

Rach

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]