Talis Forums Archive

A place to discuss all your library issues
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:06 pm 

Has anyone else encountered the following strange problem with Bridge Lite? We have just had a strange anomaly regarding a borrower with fines and fees owing and when they scanned their borrower card no fines or fees were picked up by the 3M self service unit.

The borrower had renewed the items via Talis Prism which informed her of fines and fees of £1.44.

We checked via the Account info on the Self Service unit and it indicated no fines or fees owing but Talis Alto showed £1.44 (2 x Talking books, 1 x book fines).

We can't work out whether this is a Talis config or SIP2 blip.

01772 534006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 am 

I will raise this with support and investigate why this might be happening and then update this forum post once we can explain the behaviour you are seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 am 

Glyn,

Bridge calculates the balance as sum(charges) - sum (payments) . If the latter is greater than the former then a negative amount will be generated and sent to the machine. Alto, and I think Prism, will reset a negative amount to 0 before displaying it while Bridge won't (it can be made to do the same).

I can see (from Bridge's logs) that there are several instances in which Bridge feeds the 3M machines with negative balances - this means that the LMS has more payments than charges. I should note that the extra payments are not recorded as credits but as normal payments.

Here is an example: borrower 20118020363566 has £18.63 charges and £20.67 payments. Here is Bridge's log:

sorself2.log:2009/11/30 14:30:22(66) - Response: 64 00120091130 143022000000000009000000000000AOSOR|AA20118020363566|AEMrs XXXXXXXX|BLY|BV-2.04|AY5AZC0B5

Let me know if you want Bridge Lite to send 0 to the machine in these cases.

Regards,

Zak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:37 pm 

It turns out that there is an old known problem within Alto that resulted in duplicate rows in one of the tables relating to borrower ‘fees’ and the payments associated with them. This was fixed but the underlying database condition remained and occasionally surfaces under certain fee vs payment conditions. Talis Bridge software doesn’t mask the database problem like Alto does. The database condition can result in a credit balance for the borrower which some self service devices can display, giving the impression that they are owed money by the library when they are not. For self service devices that cannot display credit, a zero balance is displayed giving the impression that there are no fees to pays.

The script check_charges.pl and borr_check_charges.pl are available via the TDN and were written to help identify and correct this problem within the database.

You can either run borr_check_charges.pl for each of the borrowers that encounter this problem and that will fix them for future encounters with self service should they incur fees. Or you could run check_changes.pl for the whole table but this would take some time but fix everyone.

I should also point out that even though the original cause of the problem was fixed, we think that Alto under some circumstances can still even today create duplicate rows but we haven’t identified the specific work flow that causes this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]