Talis Forums Archive

A place to discuss all your library issues
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:16 pm 

When we did the dump (to Unityweb) in dec/jan we were liasing with Talis to check if withdrawn items had were still showing as in our stock. I seem to think that the ones I checked then were OK.
We did a full dump earlier this week. When I received a request today for something I was pretty sure had gone missing I find it's still showing in Source.
We have three copies on the catalogue, 2 show as cancelled and one as LODU (long overdue to non-Talis speakers!). The item doesn't appear on our OPAC - so shouldn't it have disappeared from Source?

(for talis info - the ISBN of the book concerned is 1902578201)

Report this post
 Post subject: Inclusion of lodu item
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:21 am 

Good morning Pat,

I have checked the file you submitted and yes the item with ISBN 1902578201 is included in the list as 19025782013015LA. I have checked your system this morning and the reason for its inclusion is that in the environment variable TAL_IN_STOCK it is currently set as TAL_IN_STOCK=lodu,is,bind. As the script uses these variables if they are not specifically set in the parameter file then the script believes that it is an actual in stock item.

It is quite an old script that you are using and there are improved versions available. in particular we have introduced an automated harvest script that initially refreshes your full holdings data within Talis Source and then on a regular basis, be that daily, monthly or whatever period you choose, it provides a notify file of any additions and deletions. All files are automatically created and submitted and no manual intervention is normally required. The automated script also has the ability to capture ISBN and none ISBN material as well.

I would like to offer my services to you and anybody else wishing to upgrade to this automated script, as I will deploy, run and monitor this script on your behalf. Just as resource discovery within Talis Source is free, there is no charge for this service either or for anybody wanting to make a contribution to Talis Source. 37% of all our customers already have this script in place and running without problems, and many more are deploying by the day, so if you would like to take me up on this offer or wish to submit your holdings data from any other system then please contact me. My contact details are e-mail kevin.worth@talis.com, my direct telephone number is 0870 400 5431.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:48 am 

ooh this sounds good!! I'll send our IT bod the link to this thread and hopefully get it set up. Thanks.

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:37 am 

Can you tell me if there's a problem with these contributions, or if maybe someone at our end has stopped running the script, as we have been getting more and more requests for books which have been withdrawn for several months but which still show on Source.
(have raised it as a call on Source but got the automatic email saying use Forums! - so I am!)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:46 pm 

Hi Pat

Here at Liverpool we too are becoming increasingly concerned at the number of requests we get for items withdrawn from the catalogue, but still appearing on Source. We use the automated script, and will doublecheck the TAL_IN_STOCK variable, but I wondered if you had managed to resolve your problems?

Thanks

Sue Finnesey

Report this post
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:36 pm 

Hi Sue,

Can I ask you to raise a call on Talis Solutions, and to include several examples for works that are being requested via Talis Source but are now not instock? we can then trace the isbns through various files to see what is happening.

Pat raised a call in February and we set her up with some new versions of the contributions scripts which allowed is to do a fresh grab of everything, followed by monthly updates. We haven't heard anything since, so I think that means she's happy now :) .

Tim Hodson
Consultant
Talis Information
www.talis.com
www.timhodson.com
informationtakesover.co.uk (blog)

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]